BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Saturday, July 4, 2009

VIRGINIA part 1

Well, yesterday I spent almost an hour doing a huge post of our Virginia trip. I hit the publish button and the only thing that published were the first two paragraphs!! I was really mad and after many attempts at recovery, I failed. So now I get to do it again. This time I am doing it in 3 installments; maybe the post was just too big last time.

So.. Virginia trip part 1, here we go.

The trip began with my post about Emma and her need for many Ziploc bags. Apparently she now gets car sick. FUN!! Especially since I take so many long car trips -
BY MYSELF - with all the kids. So if anyone has any amazing tips on how to help car sickness (other than having her sit up front) I would greatly appreciate it. So the 10 hour trip down to Norfolk was filled with 3 Ziploc adventures, and the most awful thing in the whole world - TRAFFIC!!
Traffic became the bane of our whole trip; I am so glad that there is no traffic in upstate New York!! We hit awful traffic south of D.C. and then more traffic going through the tunnel into Norfolk. Our 10 hour trip that should have been over at 4 pm became a 13 hour trip that ended at 7pm. We only had a few minutes to play with cousins until we headed back to the hotel for some much needed sleep!! So that was our Friday - sitting in a car all day long!

The plan for Saturday was to go Busch Gardens Amusement Park for most of the day and then play with cousins and swim at the hotel at the end of the day. However, I forgot to consult the weather man. Saturday was the hottest, muggiest day they had had all summer. Temperatures in the high 90's with heat index of over 100 and it felt like 100% humidity. This dramatic change in climate from New York did not bring out the best in me, and that's an understatement. To top it all off, we hit, wait for it.... traffic on the way there and it double our drive time. So we finally got there later than we wanted, and the combination of nasty weather and traffic put me in rare grumpy form. My one consolation was I was super excited to ride the roller coasters with my boys - I had this whole picture in my mind of an afternoon filled with screams of excitement. Well, not so much.

My nephews, Alec and Nathan love roller coasters. They ride anything and everything and love it. I was hoping they would be a positive influence on my boys. No luck. We get to the first roller coaster, an easy one that my sister in law Jenna picked out, and the boys were crying and complaining and refusing to ride.
I LOST IT!!!! I completely admit that I became monster mom. I even tried dragging a kicking and screaming Zachary onto the ride anyway. We convinced Tyson to at least try one, but Zach wouldn't. But after Ty rode that first one, he really refused to ride any more. I was mad for two reasons: first because they wouldn't even try out the rides, they let their irrational fear dictate their decisions; second, because the picture in my mind of how the day was suppose to go was now gone and I was really disappointed. We basically wandered around the park for 2 more hours going on only 2 small water rides and then went home. I completely ruined the whole day. I could not get past my anger and disappointment to look at my new circumstances and make the best of things. If the boys didn't want to ride the roller coasters then we should have just gone on everything else - but I couldn't let it go. I made everyone miserable because I was miserable, and we went home. Oh, and on the way home we hit......... more traffic!!! When we finally made it through the tunnel Ron proclaimed that we weren't going through that tunnel again until we were headed home. To end the day we still played with the cousins and swam at the hotel. And after I was back in good old air conditioning I was a much happier person.

The boys getting pre-measured for the rides. Its a pretty cool idea. They give you a colored wrist band based on your height and then the rides are all color coded too. So if you wrist band coresponds with the ride color, than you are good to ride!! Of course, my boys didn't really need their wrist bands since they didn't ride anything!!!



Tess was the only one who had fun. She rode some fun kiddie rides and got wet in the Sesame Place splash park.


And got down and boogied with Elmo and his friends.

1 comment:

Adriann said...

Monster Mom strikes again! Oh well, maybe they'll black that part out of their childhood memories =).