BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Self Analyzing

I self analyze a little too much I think, which is probably why I am so critical of myself. But in all the introspection comes a few insights. Like this one for example.

I hate being alone, it makes my depression worse.

I still feel alone surrounded by my kids. I feel alone sitting in my bedroom with my parents upstairs watching t.v. I basically feel alone whenever I am not with my friends / extended family/ or my husband. In part of my analyzing about this I really think this is a key reason why I do struggle with depression.

As much as I crave "me" time and "quiet" time, the minute I get it, I'm lonely. I took some "me" time this week to go see Eclipse (yes, you are all shocked because I swore I never would --- but hey, it looked good, so I caved). I was so sad the whole time, because I was alone. I was grateful for the kid break, but my spirit wasn't rejuvinated like I wanted it to be because I wasn't sharing it with anyone.

Today we went to a friends Baptism to show our love and support. Afterward they had a dinner for everyone at their house and they invited us to join in (me and the kids that is). We were the only "non-family" there. At first I felt a little self-concious about that, but I go over it pretty fast. Everyone was very kind and friendly to us. I got to sit and listen to and talk to other friends and adults, and the kids had a blast with all their friends and their friends cousins. Before we left I thanked my friend for letting us "horde" in on their family day. She told me we weren't hording in and that we were just adopted family. I cried all the way home, I'm crying now. I needed to feel included. I needed to feel not alone.

Maybe part of my growth process during this deployment is finding peace with myself when I am alone. To be okay with being alone and not feel lonely. But it is so hard sometimes. I just want Ron home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Grace, I can relate. I've struggled with depression since Brody's birth almost 6 years ago. It is a horrible feeling. I'm thinking of you.

Kate Leseberg Fowler

Theresa Walker said...

I'm sorry you're lonely. Wish I could give you a hug. It's good that you're looking at how you can grow. We are given weeknesses to become strong. I hope you achieve all that you want.

Jacque said...

Gracie -
There's nothing wrong with wanting company. You're an extrovert and get rejuvenated being with people. That's perfectly normal! I think being at dad's office will help you a lot. Just know that it's okay to want to spend time with others and perfectly fine to make the effort. Oh, and go watch TV with mom and dad! Maybe the TV shows won't be what you like, but you can always try to convince them to watch something else.
Love you!!!
Jacque

Pattersons said...

hi grace! we'd love for you to come visit us...ANYTIME! hopefully we'll get to see you at mese's baptism and/or first week of august at the beach. mason says, be careful of jacque...she may be a double agent. has she been to russia lately?:) we love you grace and we're thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Glad you feel at home here...we need to get together more, we can fill your space and help make deployment easier. That's what friends are for...and you are one of my favorites...xxoo