BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

ENTERING OUR 3RD WEEK

We started a new regime around here over 2 weeks ago. Ron called it a re-do or a do-over. We were having continuous problems with the kids that weren't getting any better. Pretty basic stuff, but just getting out of control; fighting, not answering when called, ignoring parents all together, tunnel vision on electronics and t.v., and the biggest problem of all - deceit and conniving when it came to privileges that had been taken away.

So Ron decided that we needed to go drastic. Almost all privileges were taken away. We left them with the basics: beds, clothes, food, books, bikes, art supplies and their choice of one toy - and I mean one toy. We made a list of chores (or as Ron calls them, tasks) that they had to do at each time of day. If they completed these for an entire week without any yelling or coercing from parents, then they would earn another privilege back for the next week. The last privileges to be earned back are the t.v. and their electronics - D.S., playstation, Wii, and computer. All of their toys were hauled up to the attic so they wouldn't be a temptation.

Now you might be asking, how did the kids react? I was expecting WW3 honestly. But I think the key was how Ron explained it to them. He just said that we didn't like the way our family was going and that we needed to fix it. So we were starting fresh. The kids accepted it pretty easily. The boys even helped put all their toys in the attic. The one exception is Tess, she still gets to watch her cartoons in the morning and she gets all of her toys to play with.

So the result is amazing!!! That first week was the best week we have had in a VERY long time. There is little or no fighting. The kids are helpful and obedient. Bedroom cleanup takes seconds instead of hours and something else happened that I did not expect.

The son who wasn't a big reader is almost done with his first novel!! He is completely addicted, and I am thrilled!!!!

Tyson was already a great reader, but he has now finished 2 full series of books - go Ty!

We listen to this A LOT MORE! And I have realized that music is a HUGE calming influence on me, which makes everyone happy. We even play music in the background during dinner.

And Emma finally took the time to learn how to ride her bike without training wheels and she hasn't fallen once!! Last night we had a family bike ride to the park and she made it the whole way - so much fun!!

And our cute Tess is still the same, and plays great all by herself in her room. Gotta love that!

I was terrified that this could be a HUGE disaster and a major stress factor for me but it turned out to be the opposite. When the kids don't know what to do, I just point at the chore list. And when they have done everything they are suppose to, there is more time for family fun and relaxation. Great idea honey, thanks!!

6 comments:

Tory said...

Sounds like a great plan, maybe I should do it! I am glad that it worked so well!

Adriann said...

You know "entering our third week" sounds like you're entering your third week of PREGNANCY! If I didn't know you better, I might have been fooled. But I am SO glad that this little program is working! In fact, I thought that you hadn't ended up doing it because I hadn't heard you complain about how it was going. So YAY! What do you know, taking away toys makes for family harmony and interest in reading. That's awesome.

Amy said...

Can you send Ron over my way? I'm having those same issues with my kids and I'm worried about what's going to happen once school's out in a few weeks! This is definitely something I'm going to do! Thanks for the idea!

Sara is crazy four my boys said...

We have been living with nothing but the essentials for several days now! All the house hold goods are out of the house! It has been amazing to see what we can really live without-almost everything! We have been planing our meals-since we are trying to use up everything in the fridge and freezer. No TV, just family time! Other then a sore back/neck from the air mattress, I wouldn't trade this family time.

Kristi said...

Wow, Grace! You inspire me! I am so glad you posted this. We think about doing something like this from time to time, but I am so afraid that it will totally backfire and stress me out to no end. I'm glad to see the positive results found in your family. Thanks so much for sharing!

Donetta said...

Wow, it sounds like a great place to be. Nice music and wonderful children. Yeah, Ron. good idea.