BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Monday, June 9, 2008

Military Blues

The past few weeks have been very hard. Lots of complaining and grummpiness towards the military. I almost threw a tantrum screaming "I want my husband back - now!", but I didn't. Well, someone at church gave me this poem and it sums up my feelings at the moment. I thought I would share.

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens.
But I am in the Military in the ranks that are rarely seen.
I have no rank upon my shoulders. Salutes I do not give,
but the military world is the place where I live.
I am not in the chain of command orders, I do not get,
but my spouse does this, I can not forget.
I am not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line,
but my job is just as tough, I am the one that is left behind.
My spouse is a patriot a brave and pride filled one.
And the call to serve this Country the hard job needing done.
Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free.
My spouse makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me.
I love the one I married. Soldiering guides our house,
but I stand among the silent ranks known as the military spouse.
Author unknown.

5 comments:

Adriann said...

Can I do anything to help?

Nat said...

That is how I felt. I know that your deployment time is a lot longer then mine was. I could never ever do a 12mths to 18mths. I was freaking out at the end of 7mths with only 2 kids. Grace, I know that there is nothing that I can do from NC. But I just want you to know that I feel your pain. The only thing that got me through was my Family and Friends. Trying everything to keep little ones happy is a hard job. They need mom and dad. I tried to give each boy some one on one time. I am not sure how much they really understood @ 2-3yrs old. Next deployment will be rough with 3-4yrs old. We are not looking forward to next Spring. I am going to go back to CA for a while in the summer. If I am going to husbandless in the summer might as well be hot and with family.

I tip my hat to you!!!

Sara is crazy four my boys said...

Grace, you can do this! I know you can. I wish I was there so I could help you out, call me anytime you need an ear. You aren't alone in how you feel, it was a roller coaster ride for me with many ups and downs when Shane was deployed. I can say with out my faith, friends and family I could not have gotten through it.

Mel Sims said...

Wow, Grace. What a powerful blog. I am so sorry you are going through this. I truly can not imagine what it's like.

I can say, with all my heart, how grateful I am for people like you....your husband, your family, and what you are providing for our country.

Let's pray that this can end soon; the right way.

Love you,
Mel Sims

Meg said...

Oh Grace, I ditto the words of the great women before me. I know how you feel, like Natalie said, 5 months is the longest I have done in a deployment, so maybe I am not quite there in the understanding, but I do feel for you and know how you feel! Hang in there! 4 kids is a lot to handle alone too, I am there too! I do try to spend a bit of one on one time with each of them when possible, it has made a big differnce for us! Great friends and wonderful family keep me going, and you have both as well, rely on them! Don't try to do it all either! I always set aside a couple projects to have something to show Jake I "accomplished" while he was gone but other than that, we just make sure we are all alive and well at the end of each day! I am always here if you need to vent or chat and thanks for the poem, with Jake gone right now as well I surely needed to hear it too!