BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tattle Tales - Good or Bad?

I have the recurring dilemma of whether or not tattle taleing is a good thing or a bad thing. I understand the concept of being responsible for your own actions and not "ratting" out your friends or siblings. However, parents cannot be everywhere all the time. The extra pairs of eyes and ears come in really handy sometimes.

Case in Point. Today my son Tyson snuck the book that he is currently reading into his scripture case to take with him to church. I assume he did this so he would have something to occupy him during the boring Sacrament Meeting. He claims that he never actually read it during church, but that is not the point. Well, of course I had no idea that he did this until we got home and his little sister Emma squealed on him. So now his book has been taken away, and he has nothing to read (he reads constantly) especially at school when he finished his work early. Now, if his sister had not squealed on him, I never would have known. So again I ask, tattle taleing - good or bad? Please vote!

6 comments:

Adriann said...

Even though its supposed to be bad, I've always thought it was kinda good =).

Anonymous said...

I can't stand tattling...But you do have a point! I would say it depends on the type of tattling, small silly things or big serious things. I would want to know if it were something serious, but the rest I can live without knowing and hearing about.

Donetta said...

I think tattling is OK except when a sibling is just trying to get back at someone because they are in trouble.

Mel Sims said...

When you decide, will you let me know? =] It's so hard, also, when the "punishment" requires taking away something you'd normally encourage them to do! =]

Have a good week! -Mel

Meg said...

I am on the fence right there with you! I find myself constantly going back and forth between saying "Stop tattling on your sister, do you feel better when she gets in trouble?" to "Why would you just sit and watch her do that and not come and tell me?" It is a mystery to me as well. I agree with a couple of the previous posts as to it depending on what kind of tattling, I think there are certainly times when the intentions are good and times when they just want to get the other kid in trouble! With 4 girls it seems to be really bad, same with boys? I have a feeling the teenage years are going to be very exciting in our home! Yikes!

Jacque said...

I say tattling is okay when it's about a behavior that is dangerous to the child involved. Otherwise, it's just siblings messing with each other.