BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Friday, September 25, 2009

Potty Training Take 2

So, here we go, trying potty training AGAIN. We started yesterday - 0 success. And not only was there 0 successes, both Tess and I were both pretty grumpy by the end of the day. She was tired of me following her everywhere and making her sit on towels on the couch, and the frequent every half hour bathroom visits. And of course I was sick of following her everywhere, and cleaning up all the messes. So I made some command decisions yesterday.

#1 - Instead of doing the naked routine (which worked with the other 3 kids) I am using Pull Ups this time. I have NEVER used pull ups and in fact I have been a strong advocate against them. But you know what - she and I are both happier with a little space from each other and not worrying about what she is sitting on or where she is. This way, I still take her every half hour to use the potty, but I don't have to worry about any messes in between. And we still call them her "panties" and she likes pulling them on and off all my herself.

#2 - I bought a toddler potty. I have always bought the toilet seat inserts to just put on the toilet. Its always worked great. I bought a princess one and a dora one this time for Tess. But a friend suggested the potty to me yesterday for a very good reason - Tess is a t.v. a-holic. So now, the potty sits in our family room right in front of the t.v. She can just sit on the potty and watch her cartoons all at the same time. And what do you know - 3 successes today already!!

So basically, I am changing all my tried and true methods of potty training a child. But I figure, if we both come out the other end sane and happy and she's potty trained then who cares how we got there, right? Any other tips for me since I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one?

4 comments:

Sara is crazy four my boys said...

Well I always did the naked thing and never used pull ups. But I did use a potty seat in the living room, it helped a lot! No dashing to the bathroom and having an accident along the way. Good luck :)

Adriann said...

Sounds like this one is giving you a run for your money!

Karen S. said...

Have a look at the following website www.pottytrainingrewards.com We used this to potty train our son. It worked great. Since your trying new things, this might work for you.

Okie Bloxhams said...

all 3 of my kids were totally different. Shad was trained in one day and never wore a diaper again, even at night. he was 27 months. Chloe was the hardest, she figured it out and then had phases of accidents and wore pullups at night til almost age 4, now Gracie was easy to train but still wears pullups at night. pullups are great for church and trips too.