BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ready, Set, Run!

So my oldest brother Macc went to cheer on a friend at a Marathon a few weeks ago.  Watching his friend finish the marathon and watching all the families and friends running together got him inspired.  Inspired to do what you say? well run a marathon of course.  But he didn't want to run a marathon by himself, no no no, he wanted his entire family to do it with him.  So he started calling all his siblings.  Lucky for me my sister Adriann was the first one to tell him no to the marathon idea, but yes to a half marathon.  I jumped on that one right away.  I'll run a half marathon, but a full marathon is just way way way too long.  So my brother convinced all his crazy siblings (and most of their spouses) to do a half marathon with him in September.  But my big brother doesn't do anything half way.  Oh, no, that would be too simple.  So he created a blog where we can all post about our experiences and cheer each other on.  He created a training schedule for us.  He also created a BOM reading schedule to go along with our running schedule.  He wants this to be both a physical challenge as well as a spiritual challenge.  So along with training for a half marathon we will also be reading the entire BOM by race day.  We will also have inspiration thoughts once a week, and of course for race day we have to have matching shirts.  He also picked a half marathon that also has a 5K race as well.  So for those family members that don't want to run the half marathon can run the 5K instead.  The name for this family challenge is "The Inconceivable Vaughan Challenge".  He chose the name from one of our families favorite movies, The Princess Bride; and there is a hilarious scene where one character keeps using the term "inconceivable".  Its funny - go watch it. 

Official training started this week.  I ran fairly well the first 2 mile runs on Monday and Wednesday.  In fact Wednesday was the best run I've had to date.  I felt great and ran great.  But today was the longer run for the week, a whole 3 miles - don't mock, its a long way.  Anyway, my run today totally stunk.  I felt horrible and had to walk quite a bit.  But there is a lesson in all of this.  I will have great days and bad days, but as long as I get my butt out there running, thats all that matters.

So here I go on a great challenge.  Wish me luck, I'll need it!

3 comments:

Adriann said...

We need our heads examined.

Marla said...

GO GRACE!!!!

Sara is crazy four my boys said...

Try the couch to 5k program to help you train, it builds you up slowly!