BLOGS

THE LATEST ADVENTURE IS....

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Notification Officer

This has already been a hard week and it is only Tuesday. Early Monday morning, Ron received a phone call from his command telling him to report for duty as a Notification Officer. My military friends should immediately know what this means, and it isn't good. On Sunday 2 helicopters crashed in Iraq and 4 men died, all from Ft. Drum. Ron was called in to be on one of the 4 teams that had to go and inform the spouses that their husbands had been killed in action. The family that Ron was assigned to had 3 children, 2 twin boys age 7, an 18 month old and she was pregnant with #4. Ron was dressed in his Class A uniform and in the early hours of the morning, knocked on her door and gave her the horrible news. While he was there the twins woke up and wanted to know what was going on. The mom was understandably a wreck and didn't know how to tell her boys, so Ron offered to tell them for her. When Ron came home that morning and told me what he had done, I just cried. As a military spouse that is your worst nightmare. We all know that if we see an officer in full dress uniform standing at our front door that the news isn't good. To make the situation worse, today we learned that one of the men killed was in our ward at Church. His name is Benjamin Todd, his wife is Shelly Todd and they have 1 little girl that is around 9 months old. Shelly went to live with family for the deployment so she isn't here in New York right now. All of our thoughts and prayers are with her and her precious little girl. Shelly was both our boys Cub Scout Den Leader and Ben would come and help her alot, especially once she had the baby.

I suppose that I get into a state of denial when we have gone so long without casualties. I start to think that maybe it isn't dangerous for our men anymore and I take it for granted that they will all come home safe and sound. I wish that I could stay that nieve and that the world wouldn't have to shatter my happy bubble and prove me wrong. Shelly my prayers are with you as well as the other 3 families. I pray that Heavenly Fathers love and comfort will surround you in this difficult time.

8 comments:

Okie Bloxhams said...

Wow...that is all I can say. How hard. what an awful tragedy. My prayers are with their families.

Jenna said...

That is such sobering news, puts things into perspective...they are in my thoughts and prayers most sincerely. That must have been so difficult for Ron, but I think this is an example of great compassion, especially that he found a way to tell her boys.

Sara is crazy four my boys said...

Oh wow, that is sad heart breaking news! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. My prayers will go out to those families.

Aunt Kathi said...

How difficult it must be to see that officer in uniform at your door and know that the news is probably not wonderful. My prayers go out to the family and his parents and others. To your ward family as well. My prayers are also with Ron - how difficult it must have been for him. Knowing what we believe about the eternal scope of the family hopefully will soften the task.

Pattersons said...

oh my gosh-what a heart breaking situation for these families. i can't even begin to imagine their sorrow. i'm so glad ron was there to help give some comfort to that woman and her children. i too will keep these families in my thoughts and prayers.

Makenna said...

Grace, It's Merrill. As a 58D pilot I have been following this story closely. The Kiowa community is small, but I did not know any of the four pilots killed. I have read the story from the wife of the pilot Ron had to visit and it is very touching tribute from a wife to a husband. Please tell Ron for me, as a member of this small community, thank you for his professionalism and his small touch of personal love he gave this situation.

Unknown said...

Our hearts are saddened for those who have lost their husbands and fathers, I include my in my prayers comfort for those family members that remain behind. It makes me realize the price that is paid to keep our Country free, and to give that opportunity to others through out the world.

We should have more gratitude to those who serve, protect and defend us. And love unlimitlessly the soldiers and their families who give there all for us. I salute you all, thank you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.